Prairie Points

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Miscellaneous ramblings

I haven't been posting much lately, but it's been too hot to think. I have to have perfect conditions, the stars have to be in alignment, and the brownies baked before I can really think. And it's too hot to bake anything. It didn't used to be that way.  I could multi-task and thought of myself as a rather dependable sort when it came to memory retention.Now, when in deep thought,  if I also think to write those thoughts down, then I have them to share. Here are a few of my recent scribbles:

1.  It is so much better if I put my glasses on before I paint my toenails instead of after.

2.  I would rather go shopping in a Cracker Barrel store than Von Mauer's.

3.  My eyes are not bigger than my stomach. (hahaha.....*sad*)

4.  If it doesn't cool off and rain soon, my house will implode due to the crush weight of the dust I'm not dealing with.

5.  My bucket list has developed a leak.

6.  My personality changes with every degree hotter it gets. Mild temps with lush, moist greenery=happy.
 Hot and dry = crabby.  This is not a good summer.

7.  When you have a chance to grab a young man with a strong back to help move furniture, don't take no for an answer.

Now, more rambling.

The events of the last few weeks have rocked my chicken world.  I started out with 9 beautiful yr. old hens. I took the plunge and added 3 gorgeous americaunas to the mix. They are just now beginning to get their big-girl combs and it will still be a couple of months before I see blue eggs from them.  Then came Reuben and Miss Eula.  They are banties, and gifts from DS and DDIL. I guess you could call them gifts.... LOL...  Reuben is such a feisty, loving little thing. He lets me pick him up, talk and sing to him, and he crows right back, while I'm holding him.  He's quite the ladies' man, too. Or he would be if they were interested.  Mostly they are interested in running for cover when they see him running towards them. He seems to be uninterested in Miss Eula, even though she is more his size.  Next,  Opal went broody. She wanted babies, so after setting on donated eggs, she got them. Her babies are so cute and seem to be thriving.
They will grow fast. Laverne also became broody, but the eggs she was sitting on didn't hatch, and out of curiosity, because they sounded funny when I shook them, I broke them open. They didn't hatch because they weren't fertilized, but they did contain the nastiest rotten yolks. Imagine having a chicken sitting on you for three weeks in 100 degree heat. Ewwww. Laverne is still broody, sitting on no eggs. I've got news for Laverne. She'll just have to get over it. So, first there were 9, now there are 17. It's called chicken math.

Speaking of 100 degree heat. Again. If I were very wealthy and could afford to live anywhere in the world, I would have a summer home in the Colorado Rockies or the Pacific Northwest, a spring and autumn home in Tennessee or Kentucky or western North Carolina, and my winter home would be somewhere where it gets chilly and I can see my breath, but would not have to worry much about icy roads. I'm open to suggestions. I'll have to give it some thought, then if I can remember to write it down..........
Hot blessings,
Brenda

3 comments:

  1. You sound just like your Aunt Kathaleen when it comes to the heat. I just find something to do inside where it's cool and I'm still happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who I am like. I like Summer better than Winter, but would really prefer 80ยบ all year. Unfortunately, I have to be outside a lot (due to circumstances I'd rather not talk about) in all seasons. I'm told SanDiego is perfect, but then it is California so that info might be flawed. Stay cool and have a 'bearable' rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason I sound like my Aunt Kathaleen is because she and I both like to be outside doing things and it's hard to do that when the weather is so miserable. I don't mind staying inside and doing things once in a while, but not day after day in the summer,and after investing so much time and money in trying to have something good to eat or look at, it gets aggravating to see it all shrivel up in the heat and drought. I know I sound crabby. That's because I am. :( Give me some cool weather and an inch or two of rain and watch my frown turn upside down. :)

    ReplyDelete