Prairie Points

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eggcited about their day!

Today is a special day on the farm.  One year ago today, I brought home 10 little fluffballs and promptly proceeded to name them.  Laverne, Lucy, Opal, Minnie Pearl, Millie, Shirley, Cher, Ethel, and two others, which I've forgotten since they don't like me and I never call them by their REAL names. HA! Until about two weeks ago, all ten were alive and well and thriving.  Poor Minnie Pearl met her fate when a hawk took her out.  All that remained were a few feathers.  They are fun pets, and I consider them pets with benefits. In the above picture, the little brown egg is the first one I gathered. It was in early July and I was so thrilled.  The other egg is a storebought one, for size comparison.  Immature chickens are called pullets. Pullet eggs are smaller to begin with, but as the birds grow, the eggs get larger. I spoil my chickens. Today, in honor of this occasion, I cooked up a special treat for them.  Scrambled eggs, with peas and raisins.
I put the dogs on the backporch to eliminate any competition, then took this out for the girls. They came running and the feasting began.


At first, just a few came running to investigate, but as word got out (you should have heard the cute trills and gurgles), others joined in.  In a matter of just a few short minutes, the party was nearly over.


I think it was a successful party. I'm thinking seriously about getting them some sista chicks, too.
Blessings,
Brenda 

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Girls! You sure have been a blessing to your Mama...Love to all, Auntie Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie Sara. I wish you lived closer so you and David could enjoy some of these great fresh eggs.

      Delete
  2. Brenda, I hope the eggs you served the girls were not of their creation. That doesn't seem right...hee, hee! As I mentioned before, we are thinking of raising some fowl ourselves but we have a lot of Coyote around, do you think we would just be making an easy hunt for them? Have a good time on the Prairie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a way to adapt a portion of your garage, with a small chicken door? If you only had 3 or 4 of them, they would be very easy to manage. You might consider going on Craig's List to find a nice, sturdy dog kennel, too. Add a small run, or let them out to free range only during the day if you're out in the yard. There are lots of ways to accomodate the chickens and keep them safe, AND make it easy on yourselves. Yes, they ate their own eggs. I agree, it doesn't seem right, but some people run chickens behind cattle, if you get my drift...ewwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally figured out how to comment, I think. Too bad I have nothing to add except that the other two chickens names are Thelma and Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay...you made it. Glad to have you here.

    ReplyDelete