Prairie Points

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Snakes and rakes...or if sweet gum balls were oil, gas would be $1 a gallon.

Today is a day to catch up on yardwork.  I've mentioned before that this is a huge yard, and lots of the hard, stick-y things have been dealt with, but I'm awash in sweet gum balls. I had raked up a few piles one day last week, but never got around to finding the wheelbarrow to haul them away with, so there they sat, with lush green grass creeping up around and in the piles. Come this weekend or before, I have to have this mess cleaned up so I can mow. It's time now, but it will have to wait another two or three days.  There was no other alternative than to just get out there and do it. Just lil old me. Old me. My shoulders are aching now. Pile one went swimmingly. That's a good thing. Pile two was uneventful. With pile three, things got very exciting, indeed. Of course the chickens and dogs and cats were all lounging around nearby, or in various stages of bug/weed pecking, so when I saw THE SNAKE, I let out a little, well maybe a big, "OH', and then it hit me that the chickens might be a bit interested in it, since I've seen them fight over baby toads and such. I did the bok-bok call and they came running from all sides. Laverne took one look at the slithering little snake, cocked her head and took a better look, then must sent an esp signal to the others that it was to be left alone. Bootsie is too lazy to get too excited about anything, and Major just wants to be petted by me. The cats didn't even care about it.  I can't believe I have a yard full of animals and THEY ALL GET ALONG...even the snakes.  All Creatures Great and Small, indeed.
Happy raking, mowing, gardening, etc. to you,
Blessings,
Brenda
p.s.  If you have old iron skillets with gunk built up on them, sweet gum balls are the best way to clean them up.  The balls burn very, very hot.  Come to my house and get a big pile of them (hehe), then light them on fire and immerse your skillets upside down in them once they are red and glowing and with some coals also on top. Leave the skillet until the coals have turned to ash, wipe out the skillet, then season normally. It really, truly works.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not falling for the skillet thing. Next you'll be saying that zucchini cures the common cold. And then, can fruitcakes be far behind? I'm on to you, Bender. But if you're giving away noodles, give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea about the gumm balls, will have to try that as I have a couple of skillets that need cleaned, will have to do it in the outside fireplace tho, thank you.

    ReplyDelete