Prairie Points

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Needling the hours away

Our DS had to do an overnighter in the hospital one day last week.  It was unexpected, but fortunately I'm usually prepared with handwork projects.  I had taken some small fabric scraps and sewn them together in various ways, sandwiched them with some batting scraps and plain muslin on the backside. I had my trusty thimble and some nice strong quilting thread with me, as well as a few needles.  Over the course of one afternoon and most of the following day, I hand quilted these little mini's and when I get more time, after taxes and such, I will finish them into mailable postcards.  It takes some heavy interfacing and another piece of backing, then either bind the edges or zigzag around the edges to secure them all the layers.  A fine-point sharpie pen or a regular fabric pen works well for writing on them.  I'll get a few .65 cent stamps at the post office and ask them to hand cancel them so they don't get all bent and dirty going through the processing machines.  They can be mailed as they are, or placed inside a glassine envelope.  I've sent out several of these  and the recipients seem to enjoy getting a more personalized "card".  It helps to keep me sane and more relaxed to have something like this to work on when in a situation like that.    Here are the ones I worked on, before trimming, and the backside of one I had already finished. It's ready to be addressed and stamped.


I really enjoy making these and have even made several seasonal ones. There are many websites that show the works of others and it's a wonderful way to get ideas.  There is no right or wrong way to put one together.  I especially enjoy appliqueing various patterns and then embellishing them with free-motion machine quilting.  For me, it's one of the ways I stay busy.
Blessings,
Brenda

1 comment:

  1. I saw them in person today and they are really artistic with great color combinations. They are so fun to get in the mail!

    ReplyDelete