Prairie Points

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sticks and Stones

It was a beautiful spring day. It was a good day to work outside, so I put out an all-points bulletin for the yard crew.
My step-dad, family friend Ed, Matt (who's on spring break), and myself worked for hours and made a lot of progress. This is a large yard, encompassing acres, and there is still a lot of storm damage to clean up from past years. Some of it just gets put off, but finally, pile A and pile B got loaded on the truck and unloaded on pile C.  Pile C is a large brush pile out in the barnlot. We must have hauled 6 truckloads to it.  God bless whoever planted the sycamore trees in my yard. They were here before I arrived and over the years, have been the bane of my lawncare existence. They are right up there with sweet gum balls.  Sick-a-more trees drop twigs and sticks all over with the slightest breeze. Many piles of those were taken to Pile C. Larger logs were cut to firewood size and unloaded on the woodpile.  I. Am. Pooped.  I did have a nice lunch for the crew. Hot ham and cheese sandwiches on homemade bread, stuffed pepper soup and baked potato soup, with red hot applesauce for dessert.  After a hard three hours, it was hard to get motivated to go back out and get busy, but we managed to put in another hard hour. The silver lining is that once we are finished in the back yard, there will be a nice new garden spot.  It's in a big sunny area  that used to be shaded by a giant mulberry tree.  It, too, met it's fate with the storms.  Such plans I have. I can taste those green beans and tomatoes now. MMMMM
Blessings,
Brenda

1 comment:

  1. Im excited about your garden plans! I need to get out in our yard and do some work as well, although it won't be nearly as intense as your work. Im sure a delicious lunch prepared by you, was worth the effort in the yard ;)

    ReplyDelete