Prairie Points

Saturday, May 5, 2012

I've been to paradise

Yesterday a friend and I spent a couple of hours visiting another friend. I was instantly transported back to my youth and all the glorious days spent exploring the hardwood forest at my grandparents home. I love every single thing about being in the woods. I love the trees. I love the sounds. I love the smells. I especially love the plants on the understory and floor of the woods. Here is mayapple:
Mayapple is a lovely plant that colonizes under big trees, loving the dappled to dense shade provided there. The female plant produces a fruit that can be harvested and used in making jellies. I've never done that nor tasted it, but you can bet our ancestors made use of it.

There was Virginia creeper climbing up the sides of trees. At first glance it fooled me, thinking it was poison ivy, but I was corrected and then delighted.  Virginia creeper turns a gorgeous scarlet red in the autumn.

The forest makes my soul sing. It's something that is so embedded in my DNA that I literally get weepy every spring and fall, when the urge to be inside a hardwood forest is the strongest.  I love sitting and listening to all of nature's sounds. Water rushing or trickling through a creek. Birds calling out to each other. Squirrels barking (yes, that's what it's called), the leaves in the treetops rustling with the wind. It's green and filled with sights, sounds and smells that fill my soul. When the hot sun is beating down, inside a forest is shady and cool and restorative. This is where I am closest to my God. This is where I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am meant to be. If I can't have this 17 acres of paradise, I have to find a way to at least have a few.  The pathways that were lovingly cut through this forest led us to surprises around each corner.  It was apparent the owners loved every inch of this land, as well. This couple nurtured and built and created a wonderful home and yard and sanctuary second to none. It is a glorious homestead I would love to own, but it isn't going to happen for me. If you are looking for a beautiful country property with a lovely home, great useful outbuildings, and 17 acres of paradise, contact me and I'll connect you with this couple. They have reached a time in their lives when they want to relax and are moving on. I understand and don't blame them.  Paradise is for sale. I am not a realtor, and will receive nothing but the satisfaction knowing someone that will truly appreciate this gem will become caretakers of it. All I ask is that if I call you and you hear sniffling noises,  you take pity and invite me out to walk through your beautiful wooded land. 
God bless all you desert-loving people. I'll take the beauty of the hardwood forest anyday.
Blessings,
Brenda
p.s. This IS listed with a realtor that would be very happy to show it to you.  It's an amazing place.

3 comments:

  1. You got more of the DNA than I did, I guess. I love visiting the woods, but don't like everything about it--like snakes and ticks and poison plants. And dampness. So I won't be bidding against you on this, but if you change your mind and buy it you can bet I'll visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Some day, my dear friend, I shall have a cute little cottage with flower boxes under the windows and you will have a cozy log cabin with a big front porch. I don't need a mansion, just a cute little cottage and my "dear" friend next door with her log cabin. Some day.....Love you, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I was secretly humming "Barbara Allen" (from the Songcatcher) as I strolled through this woods. I loved it. Well, I do know there are undesirables out there, but I'm ok with that, too. Sara, I hope you get your little cottage with the flower boxes, and when you do, it had BETTER be right next to me. Love you, too.

    ReplyDelete