Prairie Points

Saturday, May 19, 2012

5 reasons to enjoy the day.

What a beautiful morning. This is another lovely day in a long string of beautiful spring days.  Here are 5 reasons I plan to enjoy this day:

1.  The sun is shining, warming the soil and all the garden plants I have growing.  We've been enjoying fresh garden salads, with various lettuces and swiss chard and spinach, along with green onions and radishes.  A farm-fresh hard-boiled egg grated on top with the dressing of choice makes it a real treat.

2.  The new chicks are nearly 3 months old now and have their big-girl feathers. They are beautiful golden brown. I like going out and talking to them, getting them used to my voice and hoping they love me as much as my other chickens (with the exception of Thelma and Louise, who I'm quite sure would rather peck my eyeballs out...ingrates).  I am looking forward to gathering the blue or blue/green eggs they will begin laying mid-summer.

3.  DH (hubby) and I will be going to town today. There are several things on our to-do list.  This one could go in either column...enjoy or not, but I will decide to enjoy it. At least I should get lunch out. Probably just a quick sandwich, but restaurant menus always give me ideas as to various ways to dress up home-cooked food.  I hope we get to see the kid today. I love getting texts and phone calls from him, but there's nothing better than wrapping my arms around him and hugging the stuffing out of him. He pretends not to like it, but I'm on to him.

4.  There will be time for yardwork later in the day. I will mow and spruce up here and there. I will water just-planted flowers, and stroll around the yard dreaming of ways I can improve upon the aesthetics of the place.  There is room for improvement here and there.  The birds will be singing. I will hear cardinals, brown thrashers, sparrows, and redwing blackbirds, for starters.  They will serenade my stroll and that will more than likely be the only sounds I hear, other than the clucking of hens and meowing of cats and maybe the occasional dog bark.  We have a wild time out here. If a car happens to pass by, all eyes and ears will be on alert. A hand will raise in a friendly nieghbor greeting. Just the neighbors going to town for supper. They'll be back by in 90 minutes or so. It takes that long to drive there, order, eat and catch up on the local news and drive back home.

5.  I will end my day with thanks. I will give thanks that I have been healthy enough to accomplish what I've wanted to do. I will give thanks that we have the means to get what we needed from town. I will give thanks that the animals in my care are doing well and are providing me with love, eggs and entertainment. I will give thanks that my family is nearby. I will give thanks that nature and nurture are vital parts of my world, and that the miracle of life is abundant.

So, there are my 5 reasons. There could just as easily have been 50 of them, but this is long enough. Enjoy this beautiful day, my friends.
Blessings,
Brenda

2 comments:

  1. My five reasons: family still speaking to me (if I make the call); I'm not sick (unlike my spouse who has an ugly summer cold and several nice neighbors who are in much worse medical situations); our AC is working; I am reading a good book and have another on tap; and last but not least, I know a really cool secret. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as there are reasons. Oooooh. Secrets. :)

    ReplyDelete