Prairie Points

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Size matters.

On April 9, I bought six baby chicks.  One little girl died right away, but the other five are alive and thriving.  Three of them are going to be regular size chickens, and will lay blue or blue/green eggs.  The other two are little banties. These little girls are scrappy and fast. They are bright and loud chirpers. I'm pretty sure they are the alpha chicks in their little chick box world. Here is how two of them measure up against each other:

I haven't named these chicks yet. Of course the banty is on the left, and the Americauna is the larger chick.  They'll be going out in a protected area in another week or so. I'm a bit anxious to see how they are accepted by the big girls outside. You can click on the pic to enlarge it. The lighting in my basement on a gray, rainy day is not the best so it's a bit dark.  Here's a better picture of the big girl:

It's an awkward age. The fluff is being rapidly shed and the real feathers are sprouting. The tail feathers are coming in one-by-one and they generally look like Sunday morning after a rough Saturday night. I'm sure she'll be beautiful one day. Here's a close-up of the banty:

All five have very similar coloring. This is our little redhead, though.  She seems to be the scrappiest of them all. It will be fun to gather little bitty eggs.  Feathers and fluff.  So cute.

All in all, they are fun to have around and I have loved having the bigger girls outside. They're good company.  I highly encourage anyone that has the space and interest to get a few chickens. It really doesn't take much space, either.  They are easy to take care of, and aside from having to deal with poop  fertilizer, they aren't any trouble. My chickens gift me with delicious eggs and the egg salad and noodles, and fried eggs, and omelets, and angel food cakes and.....you get the idea....that I make from the eggs are so good. 

Size doesn't really matter, after all. Banties, standard size, little eggs, big eggs.  As long as there are chickens and eggs at all. 

Blessings,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment