Prairie Points

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fun, handmade coasters.

I bought some cute fat quarters to make a nice summer quilt for the sofa.  I loved the combination of colors and cut them up into useable squares, but no matter how hard I try, I just always seem to have leftover bits and pieces.  What to do, what to do.  I know, make some coasters.  These are just randomly handstitched together, which is what I do at night to entertain myself instead of screaming out in pain from watching John Wayne for the 765,833rd time.  Occasionally, I win the remote, and the battle of the movies, but not too often, which is fine, since it gives me a chance to do some crafty stuff while sitting on my fanny  developing powerful muscles. I took various strips of fabric, different widths, etc. and just put them together in wonky log cabin or fencepost designs, then layered them and handquilted them.  They aren't any of them the same pattern or size, and it looks like I need to make one more to have an even number.  They're fun to make and I like "no rules" sewing.  Now I need to get busy and make the quilt.  That should be a cute one, since I plan to sew the chenille strips along the seamlines.  Sew much to do and so little time. So, while the Duke is defending the code and rounding up the bad guys, I'll happily be stitching away.  It takes so little to entertain me.
Blessings,
Brenda

2 comments:

  1. It must be the starbucks but I managed to join your blog all by myself!! I love these coasters - do you know the work of Nancy Crow? The strips sort of remind me of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Crow, Gwen Marston, and a few others are just great. Matchy,matchy is wonderful for most quilts, but sometimes breaking out of the mold is what satisfies the most.

    ReplyDelete