Prairie Points

Friday, April 6, 2012

There must be a full moon

I usually know, without checking to be sure, when the moon is full or nearly there. I don't sleep as well, for a night or two on or around the time of the full moon. I keep feeling a creepy crawly feeling, like all my hair follicles are going into overdrive and my ears burn. haha...that is not true. At least the part about the hair and ears. I swear I am not a werewolf.  I do, however, lay there wide awake for hours on end, and this gives me time to reflect. Some of the strangest things go through my mind.  This is one thing I thought about last night. It was a circuitous route getting there, mind you, because I was listening to the Dave Ramsey radio show which is broadcast on a local station in the middle of the night. He's a financial guru and people call in with their money troubles.  I was amused by some, annoyed by some, and when Dave gets on one of his rants, it becomes quite entertaining. He usually has a good, take-no-prisoners stance on how people should deal with their finances. The term "basic truisms" came to mind, which is what caused me to remember.........GOPHER WAD.  Yikes. I'm thinking about my eighth grade math teacher at 2:00 a.m.  This wasn't going to help the zzz's at all.  His name really wasn't Gopher Wad. That's just what we called him. To be fair, he deserved a squirrely nickname, since he really was a squirrely math nerd, in all his pocket-protector glory.  I'm sure he was really smart. I'm sure he really thought he could get through to us. I'm sure we drove him nuts. I don't know if he knew we called him that, but he had to toughen up if he was going to make it. He resembled a cross between Wally Cox (Mr. Peepers)  and Barney Fife:
I  am not good at math. I admire those that are. Math nerds rule the world. I wish I was a math whiz, but at this late date, I don't see it happening. Thank God for calculators and accountants.  Anyway, Mr. Wad paced back and forth a lot and used the term "basic truism" nearly every day, as I recall. Classmates of mine may have a different recollection, but he used it A LOT.  Mr. Wad and his basic truisms made an impression on me.  Mostly, I remember the term, "basic truisms".  I don't remember much about the math.  I do regret the grief we caused him, and am fully convinced that is one of the reasons I can never find mushrooms when I go out. It's one of those basic truisms that something about something seeking it's own level (am I even in the right class here?) and something else being inverse to the angle or something.  Anyway, Mr. Gopher Wad, if you're still out there, I hope you filled out your gaunt skeleton of a frame and found happiness. And I'm truly sorry for being such a brat.  Isn't this a strange thing to think about in the middle of the night?  Howllllll. Blessings,
Brenda

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure it was math? I think he was science????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sleep deprived, so if he was science instead of math, I apologize to math nerds. I do remember how squirrely he was and that some of us were totally bratty to him. He did use "basic truism" all the time, so that was why I thought about him and Dave Ramsey, who has never, to my knowledge used that term. Go figure. It's just how my brain works. Scary, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure, I did have Mrs. Cox for math. I can see the man! I remember him showing him showing us his double jointed thumb joint ans saying " Ballerinas do this". we all died laughing!
    sure can't remember his name!!!

    ReplyDelete