Prairie Points

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'm gonna be rich!!

Today has been a good day. It's not every day you discover not one, but two ways you can possibly become rich.  The Red Bud, Illinois winners of the one-third of the Mega Millions lottery have been revealed.  They have the same last name as my maiden name. Woohoo!!!  It would seem reasonable that even though I've never heard of this couple that maybe, perhaps, I could be related to them.  It might warrant devoting a nice chunk of time to some genealogy sleuthing.  They say when you win the lottery that long-lost relatives come out of the woodwork.  I am hear to tell you that I have NEVER been in the woodwork in my life. I wonder if they'll like me. 

And then there's way #2:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05/ford-plastic-dandelions/

I think this may actually work.  It seems the Ford Motor Company is looking into the feasibility of making rubber for tires out of weeds, namely dandelions.  Let me explain why this excites me. I mowed today. This year my yard looks worse than it ever has and I can't seem to tame it. We don't use anything on our grass for weeds, since living so far out in the boonies and  windborne weedseed defeats the purpose. This year I have so many of these:
Dandelions.  I know they are classified as an herb and there are many uses for them.  I am willing to bake bread, make cheese, plant garden and many other things, but I just can't get excited about getting down on my hands and knees to harvest dandelion flowers and greens. Sooooo, they turn into these:

When the yellow flowers first bloom and the warm days of spring are new and welcome, I don't mind them so much, but when the fluff has blown off and the spindly, ugly stems are all that's left, they are just ugly. I have too many of them this year. I am thinking I need to contact Ford. My wheels are always turning, you see. hehe

Oh, by the way. If I do get rich off either of these ventures, I'll throw a big party and you're all invited. 
Blessings,
Friday
p.s.  I'm trying out a new name. My mom sort of renamed me today, and I think I like it. I mean if it was good enough for Tuesday Weld, why can't I be Friday Alward?

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck Brenda, hope you find your pot of gold, guess dandelions are sorta gold, give Ford Motor Co. a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lloyd. If it works, I hope you can come to the party. Best wishes, Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, You were my first thought whenI heard who had won the Lottery! Please remember your dear old friends when you get your share!!!!!;)

    ReplyDelete