Prairie Points

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wonderful Bread from the Earth Oven

I had been wanting to fire up the pizza oven and test it to see if I could, indeed, bake bread in it.  If you haven't followed my pizza oven escapades, here is a short synopsis.  I saw one in a magazine and thought it was so cool. I just knew I could build one.  I then saw a news article about a local couple (well, they're at least in the county), and I called to see if I could come down to view it in person.  Leanna was so interesting and gave me a lot of helpful hints about building one, and also led me to a book that became invaluable in my quest.  The book, "Build Your Own Earth Oven", by Kiko Denzer was on Amazon, so I ordered a copy of it and read it front to back several times, imprinting the how's and why's on my own brain.  Then I assembled the building materials.  Rocks. Lots of rocks.  You don't have to use rocks, but that's what's free and ubiquitious around here.  All it took was lots of muscle and grunting.  Sand. That's fairly inexpensive.  Fill.  Broken bricks, odds and ends of clay tile, whatever could be found and thrown into a big hole. Firebrick. I bought these at a lumber yard and they were the most expensive component, but probably cost all of $30.  Many 5-gallon buckets of clay and more sand.  DS and I traipsed down to a washed out place in one of the fields and scooped up some clay from there.  I traipsed over to a friend's house last summer and scooped shovels full, with the help of her husband, from the rim of their receded pond.  After digging, stomping (read the book. LOL), and generally driving myself and everyone else nuts, I had this:
It burns wood and gets very, very hot.  You can bake a small personal size pizza in it in no time, maybe a minute at most, when it's at it's hottest.

After the intial firing, a few cracks developed in the outer shell, and they are deep cracks, so I'm going to have to seal it over with another layer of clay slip.  That's no big deal.  It will be a chance to repair a few other areas that aren't to my liking.  We had baked pizzas in it, but I had yet to test it on bread, so since yesterday was a nice, calm day and I was already outside working, I took the time to load it up, set the fire and for the next three hours, kept it fed with kindling and small chunks of wood. It takes that long for 7 inches of clay, which is about what the dome measures, to get all heated up. During that time, I stirred up the dough and proofed it.  I shaped a couple of small loaves, and then after their rising, inserted them into the oven.  After only 25-30 minutes, I had two wonderful, fragrant loaves of bread.

Yay!!!  It was so good when it was warm, and since I didn't use any cheese, should make great toast and sandwiches, as well.  I'm happy with it, for sure.  Get the book. Make your own oven. You can do it. I'll help you. 
Blessings,
Brenda

3 comments:

  1. Well, we have lots of clay--it's called soil around here. And it's full of rocks. I do very much admire your pioneer spirit but don't think I'll be following you into this quest. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks delicious! You know how I love bread. Enjoy!
    Wish I was there to enjoy it with you, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Brenda! If Brett and I ever move to the country I will take you up on your offer!

    ReplyDelete