Prairie Points

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Two whoops and a holler

That's how long my straw mulch job lasted around the grapevine posts.  I worked out here yesterday, planting more potatoes, more onion sets, watering, pulling and hoeing weeds, and just generally making the little garden area look nice. It's hard to get the big mower next to the posts, and my little battery-powered weed whacker went to weed whacker heaven last year, so I pulled all the grass from around the base of the posts, and had several compacted layers of old straw placed just so.  This will keep the grass from growing right next to the poles, I reasoned, and it will look much better. Well, the girls had a better idea:

I hope all those little bugs they were finding were dee-lish.   I can't get too upset with the sweet things, though, because they give me these:

This is what I found in the nest box today.
This is what I've collected in the last 3 days.  Perfect, beautiful, nutritious eggs. (notice the absence of blue or green eggs...which shall be resolved soon).

They also like to take dust baths. It helps them get rid of external parasites and it's just what chickens like to do. I just wish they would find another space that wasn't a dedicated garden site. This is why I am buying stock in a good chicken wire company:

This must be almost a foot deep by now.  That's ok. They'll find another spot once I take this one back.
If you click on the pictures, they'll enlarge for you.

Noodles, omelets, or angel food cake anyone?
Blessings,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment